Matthew West - Family Tree

Matthew west is an American contemporary Christian musician, singer-songwriter, and actor. He has been active since 1997 and has released five studio albums. 
Today’s song recommendation is his song “Family tree” from 2010. 
It’s a song about breaking cycles and putting the past behind you and not letting it define you. 

It’s a song that really resonates with me and probably a lot of people. We are often burdened by our family wherever it’s intentional or not. And I think that life is stressful enough without struggling with that burden on our shoulders. We’ll make mistakes but those mistakes won’t define us, this is what life should be like, finding our own path instead of being pushed onto one. 

I don’t know what I want to do with my life, I don’t know what my path is but I’m always being pressured from left and right to hurry up and find it. It’s extremely stressing and anxiety inducing 
I don’t know why there’s this concept that we need to hurry up and find our mission in life, sometimes it isn’t the goal that’s the most important part of life, it’s the journey. 

This song is my comfort song, it lets me know that I don’t have to be what everyone expects of me. I’m not my parents. I’m not my siblings. I’m me and that’s enough. 


Here’s my favorite part of the song:

“No, this is not your leagacy
This is not your destiny
Yesterday does not define you
No, this is not your legacy
This is not your meant to be
I can break the chains that bind you”
//
“I have a dream for you
It’s better than where you’ve been
It’s bigger than your imagination (...)”

I hope everyone gives it a listen cause it’s a really nice song! 

Enjoy! :)


Comments

  1. I agree with you. We decided who we are going to be and when we will get there. This is a nice song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter and I listen to Contemporary Christian Music the majority of the time in our home. I have heard of Matthew West, but I have never heard this particular song. It's beautiful. It certainly resonates with my story. I've fought very hard to change the trajectory of our family tree. My kids know it and greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I haven't heard this before!! Gave it a listen after reading your post, and it's so good)).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post just sound like what I’ve been going through. I got lots of pressure from my uncle, dad, mum telling me to find my path but it’s honestly stressful and strenuous. Thank you for adding the song, I will surely listen to it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment