Eminem - Mockingbird

Eminem aka Marshall Mathers aka Slim Shady is as we all know an American rapper (amongst other things). He's a living icon who is known for his lyrical skills and his fast as heck rap *cough* Rap god and Godzilla *cough*.

He's been in the game since the late 80's and still ain't stopping, giving us hits after hits. He has proven many times that he is up there with the best rappers of this world.

Today's song recommendation is a fifteen-year-old blast from the past; Mockingbird, a phenomenal song from 2005, and isn't it weird to think that it's already been 15 years?!

Mockingbird is from his fifth studio album, Encore and received a Grammy nomination for 'Best Rap Solo Performance'. The song adresses his relationship with his daughters, wife and the life they used to live.


I'm a huge Eminem fan and Mockingbird is my all time favorite song, I just really love how real it all is. Through the song Eminem aknowledges that growing up with his media image and Kim's drug problem made for a difficult upbringing. The lyrics are heartfelt and you can see how much he loves his daughters, and how sorry he is for the difficulties they used to have in the past. 

He's not afraid (no pun intended) to go personal and show the whole world his vulnerability which is something I really admire. And also the way he included the lullaby "Hush, little baby" as a way to comfort his daughters through the song is incredible. 

It's hard for me to choose a favorite part of the song since the whole song is filled with emotional vulnerability but the second hook has special place in my heart;

"And if you ask me to, Daddy's gonna buy you a mockingbird
I'ma give you the world 
I'ma buy a diamond ring for you, I'ma sing for you
I'll do anything for you to see you smile
And if that mockingbird don't sing and that ring don't shine
I'ma break that birdie's neck
I'll go back to the jeweler who sold it to ya
And make him eat every carat, don't fuck with dad!"

I love the heartfeltness in the beginning and then the contrast with the ending which is more humorous.

Anyway that was today's song recommendation, to those who haven't heard the song - do it! - and to those who have, listen to it again today!

Enjoy! :)

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, I ABSOLUELY LOVE THIS SONG!! I got so excited the second I read the title of your post!!

    Haha, the 'He's not afraid' but :)). The song immediately started playing on my head.

    That bit of the song that you mentioned is my favourite too)). It's crazy how we have so much in common from just one post)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg! Thank you so much for commenting, it made my day❤️❤️
      And wow what a coincidence, you have amazing taste 😆

      Delete
  2. I loved mockingbird and will go back to it every so often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great song! Thank you for commenting :)

      Delete
  3. I am an Eminem fan and I’m glad that this was your latest post! Eminem is a great rapper with amazing songs! Thank you for creating this post to share its meaning to people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! If you want to see more Eminem posts, you can alway hmu with songs you like from him :)

      Delete
  4. Love Eminem!! This is such a cool blog!! Keep up the great work!🤗

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment