Sleeping At Last - Saturn

Sleeping at Last is a musical project led by Ryan O'Neal who is a singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. The project initially began as three-piece band with Ryan as the lead singer and guitarist, his brother Chad as the drummer, and Dan Perdue as the bassist.
In the following years after the release of their first four albums, both Chad and Dan left the band to pursue other interests. Ryan O'Neal chose to keep the name of the band for his solo works from that point on.
A lot of the works from Sleeping at Last are mostly focused on the instrumentals - which I personally think makes the songs more emotional. 
This can also be seen in today's song recommendation: Saturn - from the Atlas: Space II album. The album continues on Sleeping at Last's theme of space, and includes the last five planets in the Milky Way Galaxy.


This is personally my favorite song - and also the first one I heard - from Sleeping at Last. The song is 4 minutes and 50 seconds long but half of the song is only instrumentals, normally this wouldn't be my kind of thing but the instrumentals are so hauntingly beautiful. The lyrics are beautifully written from the standpoint of death and teaches us to appreciate life and it's beauty. 

The forthcoming lyrics are from the first verse of the song and is also my favorite:

"You taught me the courage of stars before you left 

How light carries on endlessly even after death
With shortness of breath you explained the infinite
How rare and beautiful it is to even exist".

I love listening to this at night or when i'm sad because it has this effect on me where I appreciate everything around me more intensively. 

Ryan O'Neal explained:
"It's very much a song about losing someone close and deeply loved, but it's about the good they left behind in our lives and how to reflect that in your relationships in front of you. Saturn is of course our most photogenic planet, with it's gorgeous rings, so musically I aimed as best I could to write something worthy of such good looks. I held the word 'beautiful' as a meassuring stick constantly as I wrote the music, asking myself  'is this beautiful enough?'"


I am not afraid to say that I have cried a few times listening to this song, and I think that O'Neal did accomplish what he set out to do, cause this song is absolutely beautiful and I hope everyone gives it a listen. 


Enjoy! :)

Comments